Monday, March 7, 2011

March 07, 2011 Updates...

Good morning dependable & trusty team Melcher!

We had big news last week with the Mayor's announcement of budget cuts for all city departments. The library department will be absorbing a 27.26% budget cut which is roughly 9.8 million dollars. As to how that will happen, I'm sure the ELT Team & NL Admin on are the job figuring out exactly what will happen in our near and far future. Talk of rolling closures is circulating in the media, but nothing is known yet.  Knowing that we are witnessing change in a way that libraries has never experienced, this is surely to be a challenging and rewarding time we have ahead of us. More on the budget as news develops...

EPEs!  Along with spring comes EPE season and I will be adjusting to the software used as well writing up these reports of our yearly progress during the next few weeks. This means I may disappear from time to time, but I am not very far. Should anything arise, please know that I have no problem interrupting whatever it is I may be doing. :)

This week - Daisy will be taking a FURI (Mandatory Furlough) on Wednesday (March 9). Mike will be taking his COMP time for working Sunday on this Friday (March 11).

We also have a new volunteer starting on Wednesday! Her name is Mariana Cano and she will be completing some community service time for Yes Academy. She has really curly hair and appears to be uber friendly, so hopefully she will be with us for more than the 10 hours that Yes is asking students to complete. :)

I'm sure we all got the email but just in case anyone overlooked it. March's Finishing First With Safety Tip of the month is below.
Monthly Safety Tip – March 2011

STAYING FOCUSED ON THE TASK
• Reorganization, furloughs, budget concerns….It’s easy these days to become distracted from the task at hand! Our challenge for March is to stay focused on our primary assignments. Do not allow distractions to lead to workplace stress or injuries.
EARLY WARNING SIGNS OF STRESS
• Emotional reactions occur more quickly and intensely, especially anger
• Tension Headaches
• Fatigue or Panic attacks
• Heartburn and change in appetite

SAFETY TIPS TO USE WHEN YOU FEEL STRESSED OUT
• Set realistic expectations for the amount of work you can complete in the time that is available. Take a break when needed to avoid burnout.
• Try to remain organized and keep your work area free of clutter.
• Avoid negativity. Try to maintain a positive attitude about your work and your co-workers.
• Talk to trusted friends to help you put things into perspective and minimize stress.

That's all I have for now.
As always, thank you for contributing to this great team!
Oh! One more thing! Using cell phone accessibility (internet) to locate and place items on hold when our internet was out...was genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment