Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Proposed Hours Reduction at Neighborhood Libraries

Hola Team Melcher!
I am passing along some information from Mike Van Campen regarding the proposal that was made to City Council yesterday regarding neighborhood libraries hours reductions. *All documents are pending approval*
Thank you for taking the time to read, I will keep everyone updated as information is shared.
-Daisy
__________________________________________________________________________


Greetings,


Earlier this morning, administrative staff from HPL presented the budget for the forthcoming fiscal year. As part of that presentation, a proposal was shared for reduced hours for all Neighborhood Libraries locations. I have attached two documents. The first is a map that lays out the proposed hour changes at all locations. The second is a document that compares current hours to proposed hours by locations.
I want to stress two things about this proposal.

The first point is very important: at this point, this is a proposal and it has not been approved yet.

Second, I want to make sure everyone understands how Saturdays will work if this is approved. With the exception of the Extended Hours locations, we will be grouping all libraries together into groups of two. Each grouping will consist of one location with a Weekday (M-F) schedule and one location with a Saturday (Tu-Sa) schedule. The staffs between these locations will be shared. This will mean that everyone is working every other Saturday, which is the schedule that was in place prior to the move to our current reduced hours in April 2010.

The way this will work is that staff will work at both locations on a regular basis. As for Saturdays, there will be an alternating schedule set up so that all staff members will work one Saturday every two weeks at the Saturday location in the grouping. It is important to stress that staff will truly be shared. Instead of someone working at a single location, they will instead work at the grouping. The exception to this is those locations that are Extended Hours locations. I should add that one location will be added as an Extended Hours location (Heights). This is because this location has to be open afterschool and saw extremely heavy usage on Saturdays prior to the shift in hours last year.

Again, I want to stress that this in tentative and is only a proposal at this point. If this proposal is approved, I will share more information about the groupings. Once approved, we will know more about when these changes will be taking place. If you have questions on this, please feel free to contact me. In addition, I will devote some time to this (and any other developments that may happen between now and then) in our Managers’ Meeting next Friday.

Thanks,
Mike Van Campen
Chief of Neighborhood Libraries

Map of Proposed Library Hours
Comparison Chart of Proposed Library Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment